Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TECHNIQUE AND TUTORIAL TUESDAY : FAUX SPIRELLI



Hi there!  Remember Spirograph? I remember Santa bringing me one in the 1960's, and it kept me busy for hours!




You'll be forgiven for thinking that this is the same thing, as it is based on the same principles.

I'd like to share with you a tutorial for a faux technique - don't we just love getting to do something that looks like the real thing, but in a much easier way?  I know I do!

For the real Spirelli you need a notched diecut,  thread and you wind around and around.  You need twelve fingers and simply cannot put it down halfway through. For my faux Spirelli you need only know how to thread a needle.

Are you ready to learn .... yes? Here goes:


STEP ONE


STEP TWO : I chose to use black on white for this example so that it is easily visible. Now pierce the cardstock with the needle and pull the thread through so that it is taught but not so tight that it causes your cardstock to bend or warp. It might help you to prick the holes first, then number them on the back of your cardstock so that you don't get lost.


STEP THREE


STEP FOUR


And there you have it!

I have used a round shape, but this technique works equally well with ovals, hearts, squares or rectangles.

Please come back and show us what you have made using this technique.

4 comments:

  1. So cool! I love how this looks. Thank you for the tutorial. I am book marking this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Jen ... can't wait to give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete